DOCTOR OF PHYSICAL THERAPY (DPT)
DPT is the first professional degree in the field of physical therapy recognized by Higher Education Commission (HEC) Pakistan. It comprises of 5 years (10 semesters), equivalent 17 years of schooling. The degree program will produce physical therapy professionals who will be entitled as Doctors of Physical Therapy and will be competent to diagnose and treat movement dysfunctions due to injuries or diseases.
Physical Therapy is a rapidly growing profession. It has gained tremendous advancement and acceptance within the last two decades in the health care domain and is being rated in top ranked high earning profession in the western world. The DPT curriculum is adopted form of the USA and few local alterations have incorporated to the DPT syllabus in Pakistan. The new syllabus emphasizes on the areas such as differential diagnosis, applied pharmacology, diagnostic imaging, health care prevention and practice management. It gives the autonomy to the physiotherapists that patients can have direct access to them. The rapid growth in the field of physical therapy poses new challenges for professionals to re-evaluate its goals for the future and move toward more autonomy in patient care.
Physical Therapist is now integral part of any health service in the modern word. According to America Physical Therapy Association (APTA) By 2020, physical therapy will be provided by physical therapists who are doctors of physical therapy, recognized by consumers and other health care professionals as the practitioners of choice to whom consumers have direct access for the diagnosis of, interventions for, and prevention of impairments, activity limitations, participation restrictions, and environmental barriers related to movement, function, and health. Since there is general trend of Physical Therapists to seek employment and admission for further studies abroad. The DPT complies with the initial requirement regarding the educational and employments opportunities all over the world. The program will also meet the requirement for independent practice in Pakistan.
Physical therapy is an essential segment of modern health care system. It is a “science of healing and art of caring”. It pertains to the clinical examination, evaluation, assessment, diagnosis and treatment of musculoskeletal, Neurological, Cardio-Vascular and Respiratory systems’ functional disorders including symptoms of pain, edema, physiological, structural and psychosomatic ailments. It deals with methods of treatment based on movement, manual therapy, physical agents, and therapeutics modalities to relieve the pain and other complications.
Hence, Physical therapy covers basic parameters of healing sciences i.e. preventive, promotional, diagnostic, rehabilitative, and curative.
Vision & Mission
The helping hand institute of rehabilitation Sciences (HHIRS) aims to produce competent rehabilitation practitioners who are capable of conducting unique and independent research. The Institute promotes critical thinking and inquiry to foster an environment of research and academic learning. Its programs have been designed to meet the growing demand of the rehabilitating patients from injuries and disabilities. Its graduates are equipped with the skills and aptitude to provide effective care in restoring bodily functions, improving mobility, relieving pain and contributing towards a better life style for the patients.
GOALS OF THE PROGRAM:
THE PURPOSE OF THE DOCTOR OF PHYSICAL THERAPY PROGRAM (DPT) IS TO PREPARE PHYSICAL THERAPISTS WHO WILL:
- Be primary providers of physical therapy care.
- Serve as responsible members in the professional community and are willing and able to assume leadership roles in the communities they serve.
- Identify researchable problems, advocate and participate in research, and incorporate research findings into clinical practice.
- Understand and place in context the social, economic and cultural issues of practice and effectively advocate for changes in policy
- Correlate theory with practice and think creatively about, react to, adapt or shape new practice environments.
- Participate in and provide education for communities, patients, peers, students and others.
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAM:
GRADUATES OF THE DOCTOR OF PHYSICAL THERAPY PROGRAM WILL:
- Demonstrate in-depth knowledge of the basic and clinical sciences relevant to physical therapy, both in their fundamental context and in their application to the discipline of physical therapy.
- Understand, correlate and apply theoretical foundations of knowledge to the practice of physical therapy; evaluate and clarify new or evolving theory relevant to physical therapy.
- Demonstrate the behaviors of the scholarly clinician by developing and utilizing the process of critical thinking and inquiry, particularly focused on the improvement of the practice of physical therapy and the delivery of health care.
- Engage in reflective practice through sound clinical decision making, critical self-assessment and commitment to lifelong learning.
- Demonstrate mastery of entry level professional clinical skills. Provision of these services is based on the best available evidence and includes physical therapy examination, evaluation, diagnosis, prognosis, intervention, prevention activities, wellness initiatives and appropriate health care utilization.
- Prepared to influence the development of human health care regulations and policies that are consistent with the needs of the patient and of the society.
- Demonstrate leadership, management, and communication skills to effectively participate in physical therapy practice and the health care team.
- Incorporate and demonstrate positive attitudes and behaviors to all persons.
- Demonstrate the professional and social skills to adapt to changing health care environments to effectively provide physical therapy care.